Sunday, October 24, 2010

What is happiness?

For the past few days I have been wondering about the answer to this question. I would sit staring at the rain from my love seat and just think about it. I couldn't find words to describe what happiness was. Giving up, I went to the dictionary. This big book that was suppose to know all said this: "the quality or state of being happy." Well, that wasn't that helpful to me so I searched up happy and got: "feeling, showing or expressing joy." You aren't the only one that just thought, "Well, that doesn't really sum up exactly what the heck happiness is."

This is when I had an eureka! I would ask others what happiness was to them. None of them answered with joy. Mikaya, age 15, answered; "Happiness is to have a clear mind and soul...My conclusion is happiness is the small things going your way." Bailey Arnett ,age 14; "Happiness is when you are confident where you are in life." and Desiree Lozares, 14; "Happiness: finding your place in life. To find joy in the little things. being around ones you love. The feeling you get in your tummy when something good happens." All they're answers are so different that I finally came to a conclusion.

I didn't need to spell it out with words. Happiness to everyone means something different. My happiness is a warm cup of coffee on a cold day and riding for miles with the windows down on a warm summers day. The air of Autumn and the snow of Winter. The nostalgic feeling of riding on a tricycle or swinging really high on a metal swing set. Something that makes me remember a moment in life that I wanted to last for ages. Wet hair that reminds me that I could love someone so much I was practically crazy. Pure white daisies in a magnificent red vase that just makes you stop and smile to your self. Happiness is a song that makes you want to get up and just dance or sing with the person next to you.

So really, happiness is just a bunch of silly foot prints left on your heart or in your mind that blend themselves into your personality. It's different to everyone. You could wake up the next morning and change it to something else and not even notice. But, it's always there for your choosing. That, in and of itself, makes life a little more interesting.

Song of the Day: In My Veins by Andrew Belle

Quote of the Day: "It's just that...I just think that some things are meant to be broken. Imperfect. Chaotic. It's the universe's way of providing contrast, you know? There have to be a few holes in the road. It's how life is." - Sarah Dessen (The Truth About Forever)

No comments: